Thursday, October 21, 2010

Unboxing the Samsung SyncMaster BX2231 LED Monitor

My ol' CRT monitor blew up some time ago (like a month already?) prompting me to to get a replacement. Well, it's kinda sad since I loved that monitor despite being huge, have a standard aspect ratio (4:3), and needs some kind of workaround every time I shut it down. On the bright side, color reproduction is excellent, doesn't struggle in bright light, minimal reflections, no dead pixels, no ghosting, looks great even on low resolutions, and a far better viewing angle. But all of that would be useless if you can't really turn it on anymore.

So after a week or so of surveying, I put my prime target on Samsung SyncMaster EX2220X LED Monitor. However, as I arrived at Plaza Low Yat, I can't find it anymore (except for one last shop). Taking a look at the current pricelists, I found a model with almost similar yet better specifications, but pricier: the Samsung SyncMaster BX2231 LED Monitor.

I've set a few criteria for the new monitor:
  • It must have good color reproduction (since I do graphics and photo editing)
  • Should be at least as high as my old 17" monitor
  • Have a resolution of at least 1920 x 1080 (higher than 1024 pixels high)
  • Have DVI or HDMI inputs (D-Sub is muddy for LCDs)
  • No speakers (that would add up costs and I already have a good pair)
  • A response time of at least 5ms (to prevent ghosting)
  • LED display (so that the contrast would be higher)
Having said that, the BX2231 meets and even exceeds these criteria. It's a 21.5" LED monitor, have a resolution of 1920 x 1080, have two HDMI inputs, no speakers, and a response time of 2ms. I've seen the demo model in the store and color reproduction seems good, just like most Samsung monitors I found.

Now the unboxing.

The box

Contents inside the box. You can see cables and the monitor itself in their wrappings.
D-Sub cable
DVI to HDMI cable
Manual, warranty, microfiber cloth, driver CD, power cable

DC adapter

The monitor outside the white wrappings

Monitor inputs. Note the two HDMI slots and an audio out jack.

Monitor stand
Monitor base with installation manual
Monitor base with stand
The assembled monitor

Uh, something missing? Yep, a HDMI cable. If you're planning on using that, ask your dealer whether it includes it or not before you go home. The manual indicates the optional parts are: a HDMI cable, a DVI cable, a HDMI to DVI cable, and a microfiber cleaning cloth.

So how does it work? Colors seem well done, contrast was superb, viewing angles are good enough and there is no ghosting whatsoever. The monitor can also adjust the aspect ratio automatically, so you won't get stretched displays. 

But I do have some gripes about it. The stand is not adjustable. But even worse is the touch sensitive panels. I'm not a fan of it for being too sensitive or not sensitive enough, and this monitor is no exception. Even the power button is touch sensitive. It doesn't work well enough for me, even though the menu is easy to use. Thankfully the bundled software allows you to adjust the monitor settings from within Windows, using your mouse and keyboard. Dynamic Contrast is pretty good, but you'll notice that whenever the monitor displays a lot of blacks, the brightness will go down automatically. I just use custom settings instead.

Overall, its a good monitor (until I find any more issues about it) and I'd be happy to recommend it. Just watch out for that touch sensitive panels.

7 comments:

  1. Hello, I know this is an older post, but the stand IS adjustable - it's just very stiff. If you pull forward on the bottom center of the screen while you push back on the top center, it should budge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly doubt Samsung intend to allow adjustments with this kind of stand.

    Pulling the column as you said will make the stand loose, which in return might cause the screen to fall off. Besides there is too little to gain from this 'adjustment'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually the monitor is designed to be able to tilt. hold the bottom of the stand with one hand, then push the top of the monitor with the other hand to easily tilt it backwards

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no mention of that in Samsung's website or the manual. It only says the stand is 'simple'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it tilts very easily, maybe yours is out of whack man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I just discovered this very informative page before deciding to buy this as a second display.

    Concerning the stand adjustment, the manual says "Tilt 0°( ±2°) ~20°( ±2°)" in the specs, and this is confirmed by other online reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same monitor here. As far as I've seen (and you can see from the pictures above), the stand isn't adjustable (or designed to be so). And no, my unit is definitely not whack, as I unboxed even a few more of this model to be of the exact same design: not adjustable.

    Also, what other online reviews? Be more specific.

    ReplyDelete