Saturday, August 15, 2009

There goes my job interview

I've been absent for 2 weeks, thanks to my job interview I attended on Friday Aug 7. It was for vacancies of computer technician in various federal departments and I was quite happy to think that if I'm lucky I'll work (and play) with computers.

The interview is supposed to be easy but somehow I screwed up a bit since I don't have time to think, to manage my words but still the interview runs smoothly and everything seems to be fine.

10 questions being asked to me:

1. Tell us more about yourself
This is where I first screwed-up. I shouldn't have talked much about my bio since everything is already in the resume. I should have talked about what I like/dislike, my interest in computers as well as my opinion related to that stuff. Of course i had them planned in my head but they interrupted me before I could go any further.

2. Main component of a computer
This is easy. I explain everything from CPU to GPU, types of monitor and even the development of Terabyte HDD. My only worry is I might have gone too far LOL (too excited?).

3. Ports at the back of a computer
This one is also easy. I listed out everything I know, including the obsolete and legacy ports (PS/2, serial, parallel, etc). Even the graphics ports (RGB, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc) also not spared haha!

4. Types of topological networking
This is where I screwed up again. I was taking too much time to explain about LAN and I didn't have a chance to explain about other types of networking since they interrupted me in the middle.

5. Frequently used ports in networking
This is quite easy also. I quickly learned from my mistake from earlier questions (although it might be too late already) so I just explain things straight forward. What port is used by HTTP, FTP, POP3/IMAP mail, p2p networking, etc.

6. How to prevent virus infection
This is relatively easy since this is what I'm always asked for help in my current workplace, although I'm not a computer technician there. Of course I answered everything about antivirus, firewall, email attachment, etc. Luckily for this question I got time to explain about source of infections, what are rootkits about, worms, trojanhorses, backdoors, keyloggers and many other as well as how to deal with any of these.

7. The diference between RG11 & RG45
Too bad I failed to answer this. I know this is about cable stuff but since I'm lacking of experience in working with network so I don't know much about types of cables & antennas. What did I do then? Well, I just apologized and told them honestly that I don't have much experience in networking in the most polite way I could think of.

8. How many bits in a byte
Simple. I just answered straight to the point because I know time is running out.

9. The differences between 32-bit computing and 64-bit computing
I also don't take much time to answer this so I just told them whatever I have in my head.

10. Ways to connect to the Internet
The most unexpected question comes last! I just managed to answer 2 (fixed-line & wireless) before being interrupted, marks the end of the session.

All that took roughly 20 minutes. The guy before me took longer, almost half an hour. I'm not sure why but that guy possess a diploma in electric-electronic while the 2 guys after me possess a cert in electric-electronic from local polytechnic. I am the only one with only SPM in hand so I was quite surprised to know that my job application was accepted. Not sure about those who are interviewed days before us though.

1 comment:

  1. How many bits in one byte? classic question. I also got this question from interviewer.

    And he applaud me for answer correctly, and tell me the last candidate didn't know the answer.

    ReplyDelete