Saturday, February 19, 2011

After a month being a technician...

It's been about a month after I started working as a technician at a local computer store. I must say I've learned quite a lot of stuff through the experience, and it's just likely that I'm about to discover more. So far, here's my observation:

1. CoolerMaster GX 550W is a problematic PSU.
More than three were sent for warranties last month, under six months of use. I heard that the whole GX series isn't recommended actually. Good thing I bought a second-hand CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 750W instead of a GX 550W. Good buy too; it's bloody cheap.

2. Power supply testers are very rare.
The only place I saw it was in the store I worked, but then again it's sold out. It is priced at RM39. Simple and handy to have it.

3. Compressed air cans are not sold in computer stores.
Instead you can find it at a hardware store. Compressed air is commonly used to clean up electronics, especially computers, by blowing away dust in hard-to-reach areas.

4. Dell has no service center.
They got an on-site service instead. You're supposed to call Dell first so they can check your stuff at your home/office. More information here: http://supportapj.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/ap/shared/support/dellcare/en/byphone?c=my&cs=mydhs1&l=en&s=dhs

5. External hard disks tops the warranties list.
Not exactly a surprise. Almost everyday goes with someone having issues with the external hard disk. Often it was bad sectors and mechanical failures. As for data recovery, utilities such as Testdisk (included with Parted Magic) are often used.

6. K-World media players were also problematic.
Sure, they have a three-year warranty, but it doesn't really reflect the build quality. It's cheap, but has poor documentation, and many have been sent for warranties. I'd recommend ASUS O! Play series instead.

7. I hate printers.
Yes, I just discovered my (mild) hatred for printers. They are such a pain to set up, especially dot-matrix printers and all-in-one printers. Then I have to repackage it, which is also a pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment