Friday, June 12, 2009

Jumping Ship! All aboard AMD! :P

Been playing Empire:Total War and Sims 3 on my PC for a while, at first I been patient enough to withstand the low frame rate and low settings. Even on that settings, the frame rate still stutter and the game perform poorly :(

And yesterday I was reaching a breaking point. Been greeted with 3 times (yes 3 times) blue screen of death is not funny, and worse, it happens when I play the games For the motherboard, I pick Asus M4N78 Pro with GeForce 8300 onboard graphics. Capable of Hybrid SLI, this board sure can accommodate my need for performance.


Inside is pretty much basic stuff, surprisingly from Asus. But it got nice small thing that most motherboard manufacturer didn't see, a small socket call Q-Connector. This small connector organized casing power button, reset button on single connector and just plug the connector. I didn't have to use magnifying glass to see what's written on the board anymore :D

The price? its price RM365, but the seller give me discount RM2.... ^_^;


And for the processor, meet Phenom X3 8650 (OMG! Its AMD!) I know, Im jumping ship as I short on money and need quick upgrade, this is the best I can buy, just for RM275.

In short, my upgrade costs RM638. Not bad, in a few months maybe I will upgrade my graphic card too, currently running on 8800GT 512MB.


Windows Installation nightmare


After assembly and first boot-up, Windows Vista load normally but detect so many new hardware. I decide to repair or upgrade windows installation only, but at that time, its already 1am in the morning.

I left my PC to install Windows and sleep..........

Around 4am I wake up and see blank screen with "Disk read error, press Alt+Ctrl+Del to continue" message. Damn, is it my seagate drive malfunction? Im scared like hell already.

And the windows installation stalled. I dont have a choice but to reformat partition C: from my Seagate drive T_T After clean install, Vista works perfectly but pops out new message.

"Please activate your Vista" LULZ, ok I just go activate. But.... the system said that my key has been activated! Ouch! There it goes my original copy of Vista, >.<

After all drivers installed and system is stable, I install the games. See what triple-core can do compare to my old Pentium 4. And hell yeah! it was a blast. Although I still can't play at max settings (because of my graphic card) at least I can play smoothly on medium or high on 1680x1050 resolution.

Well after done testing, I need to go back study, I had exam today! wish me luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment